Lake Macquarie History

Adamstown Heights

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

In 1845 Thomas Adam settled in Newcastle. His house there was remembered as being made from timber taken from the heavily wooded area of Cockle Creek.

One of the first aldermen, he served for several terms. In 1869 Adam purchased 54 acres of Crown land south of Hamilton, along Glebe Road. He resold this later and when the Waratah Coal Company were developing a coalmine site, a subdivision was held for the incoming miners. The surveyor A. S. Huntley gave the subdivision the name "Adamstown" in honour of the first owner, Thomas Adam. (Source: "Green Point, Valentine, Eleebana and Croudace Bay" by Peter Murray).

The boundary separating Lake Macquarie City LGA and Newcastle City LGA crosses the suburb of Adamstown Heights with the portion south of the shared boundary belonging to Lake Macquarie City.

The place name of Adamstown Heights in the Parish of Newcastle was assigned the designation of suburb on 6 September 1991; it is a neighbourhood about 1 km north of Kahibah and about 3 km southwest of Merewether and boundaries within the City of Lake Macquarie are shown on NSW Geographical Names Board map 3506.

Streets in Adamstown Heights