Lake Macquarie History

Belmont South

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

Belmont South is located between Belmont and Marks Point, along a narrow strip of land on which the lake is located to the west and the ocean to the east. Belmont Golf Course is at the south of the suburb and takes up a large proportion of land, which backs on to Blacksmiths Nature Reserve. Belmont Lagoon and Cold Tea Creek form another water border.

The post office was opened on January 12, 1959 and closed on November 29, 1969.

No schools have been listed in this suburb.

Belmont Cemetery, serving the east Lake community from Belmont North to Swansea is a prominent feature of the suburb.

Reference

Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]

Streets in Belmont South