An early road, on a 1955 council map, this was one of only two roads in Caves Beach at the time. It is a 'scenic drive' to Mawson's Lookout where there is a 360-degree view of Lake Macquarie, the ocean and the coast nearly to Port Stephens.
There is an old concrete viewing platform on the top, built in earlier times for picnickers and holidaymakers. Trees are beginning to obscure the view. Mawson Lookout was voluntarily gifted to the public in the 1960's by Art Mawson, a Swansea hotelkeeper and businessman.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License