On a 1914 plan, Charlestown Road is named Main Government Road although locally it was known as New Lambton Road. Residents of Lambton Road, Charlestown complained of debris from the quarry after blasting, falling on their homes. (Source: NMH 4 December 1944).
On 15 February 1957, it was officially gazetted as Charlestown Road. A section of Ida Street became part of Charlestown Road, main road 23. Captain Thunderbolt, the infamous bushranger, was once reportedly near the site of what was to become Charlestown Road. (Source: 'The Post', 2 November 1967).
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License