Hillhouse Street was named in 1969.
Members of the Hillhouse family - William, Gwendolin and Jane - lived in thie area of EK Avenue and Kura Street from 1949 (NSW Electoral Rolls). It is believed the street name originates from this family who were the developers of the estate in 1969.
It is believed that the developer didn't want the street to be a thoroughfare, and purchased land at the end so it would always be a culdesac His son nearly drowned at a local beach and the man who saved his son was given the choice of any of the blocks of land in the street. He chose the top corner block.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License