Smith Street was surveyed in 1876 for the Waratah Coal Company's subdivision. Charles Smith was manager of the Waratah Coal Company. He was also a member of the board of directors and a prominent member of the coal industry.
In 1936, the old courthouse adjoining the police station in Smith Street was converted into a fire station. In 1959, the Urban Committee was told of vehicles becoming bogged in Smith Street. A new fire station was built in 1966.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License