Stuart Street was surveyed in 1876 for the Coal Company's Charlestown subdivision. The first post office opened in 1877 on the intersection of Stuart and Ida Streets. Alex Watson was the postmaster.
A section of Stuart Street became part of the Pacific Highway.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License