An early road possibly called Government Road; Main Road 217 was named Lake Road officially on 24 October 1980. A two storey wine bar built in the 1920s by J Poyner was on the site of the Sulphide Welfare Club now Club Macquarie, built in 1967. The Golf Club was built in 1920, the Mines Rescue Station in 1927.
D Thomas built the first hotel; this was demolished and re-built in 1956. There have been a number of other shops and businesses over the years. The Post Office and newsagency have closed more recently. Kindyerra Park is here, Kindyerra is an Aboriginal word meaning "grass" (Source: "Aboriginal Words of Australia" by AH and AW Reed).
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License