Ivy Street was named in 1961. It was named after Ivy Alfreda Caldwell (nee Smith) who was a well known Newcastle socialite and identity and champion ballroom dancer. Ivy was the wife of Alfred Benjamin Caldwell, a well known Newcastle entertainer and dance instructor. He was also horse trainer and enthusiastic racegoer, who established a horse stud - Chatter Park - at Dudley in 1949. Ivy Street was on the site of Bert Caldwell’s stables which housed his many race horses.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License