Originally named Government Road, it was part of Walter Bailey's land grant, an auction was held in 1889 by Frank Gardener and later included in land sales in 1904 and 192. It was extended and eventually renamed Ocean Street. Ocean Street is the leading thoroughfare in Dudley. There are views of the ocean from here. The early Ocean View Hotel (1880) and Royal Crown Hotel (1892) were built in this street.
This road leads to the home built by the Cant family, mine owners (Source: "A History of Dudley Public School"). This building, named Redhead House, eventually became a men's home but was demolished in 2008 and the property subdivided.
Near the School of Arts and in the Frank Watkins Memorial Park, under trees, is a monument with the names of miners who were killed in the Dudley mine. Part of Ocean Street is Main Road 325.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License