Lake Macquarie History

Princess Street

A 1901 street, Princess Street was owned by the Newcastle Wallsend Coal Company. Naming streets after royalty was a popular convention. In 1927, there were two tennis courts at the end of Princess Street near the fourth fairway of the Waratah Golf Club. Mrs Byrne's shop was here. (Source: Bradbury, E, 2000, Boolaroo Public School: 1900-2000: a Century of Memories)