Kilaben Street was named in the Village of Awaba declared on 20 January 1894. Most of short Kilaben Street was still a gravel road as recently as 2006. Kilaben comes from the Awabakal word 'killibin bin' meaning 'bright, shining, beautiful'. (Source: Threlkeld, L. E. Australian reminiscences and papers of L.E. Threlkeld: missionary to the Aborigines).
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License