An early road it would be been used by people going around the bay before the first Fennell Bay Bridge was built. It also leads to Wakefield. An unnamed section was gazetted on 17 April 1964. A concrete viaduct or arch bridge over Fassifern Road was completed in 1911 for the Toronto rail line. This appears to have been replaced later by a similar elevated structure still in existence (Source: "Fassifern-Toronto Rail Corridor" by P. Fenwick).
The Fassifern Public School and the Lake Macquarie (Charlton) Christian College are in Fassifern Road and the general store/post office was also here. Store keepers remembered during the 1930s and 40s were Robertsons and then Seymoures. The Westlake's Archery Inc. has their grounds on Fassifern Road on the western side of the railway line.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License