Hill Street was originally a track down to the house and market garden (beside Brush Creek) of Robert John & Evelyn Hill. Originally the address was simply Brush Creek, and letters sent prior to 1951 were addressed Mrs Hill, Brush Creek, Young Wallsend. The street was formally named by Lake Macquarie Shire Council in 1951 in honour of "Pop" Hill. The first road only went as far as Rose Ave, with a track leading down to the house and gardens.
The Hill family have a long association with the area, and one of Robert and Evelyn's sons, Robert Henry Hill, built one of the first houses (no. 5) in Hill St.
Hill Street was originally in Edgeworth (Young Wallsend) before suburb boundary changes in 1989/1990 relocated it to Glendale.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License