This was an early road, shown on an 1889 map. It is a destination road name, Wyee being a Lake Macquarie town. Wyee Road became a part of Main Road 454. Sections of Main Roads 217 and 509 became part of Wyee Road on 12 April 1985 in preparation for extra traffic during construction of the F3 Freeway.
Newspaper accounts indicate that Wyee Road replaced Old Maitland Road as the main carriageway between Morisset and Wyee in 1958/1959.Source: Newcastle Herald 3rd June 1958 "£20,000 grant for road"
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License