Thomas Williamson erected a large boarding house here named Belmont House, later his daughter and son-in-law, Mr and Mrs Aubrey Clift, prominent Belmont citizens lived here. The street was named after them in 1932 when the Belmont Urban Committee requested of the Council the formation of Clift Street. A large part of the Williamson Estate was being offered for sale. (Source: NMH 26 September 1975).
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License