Originally called Macquarie Street, it was renamed at the request of Teralba Advisory Committee; the Council altered the name (Source: NMH 17 May 1938). The War Memorial was built in 1919. At one time, a sly grog shop called 'Blackberry Inn' was rumoured to be in Anzac Parade. The Lake Macquarie Hotel (now a boarding house) opened in 1888 and the first publican was Thomas Williams. Fellow publican John Hodges built the Great Northern Hotel approximately two years later, this was a name common in those days because of the construction of the Great Northern Railway, and both hotels built halls on their properties. The Great Northern Hotel suffered damage to its brick walls in the 1989 earthquake. Fortunately, this was able to be repaired. The School of Arts building was built in the early 1900s. Movies were regularly shown here between 1924 and 1931. Teralba Court held sessions in the School of Arts building for many years. In the early 1930s, there was a house with a shopfront, below the Great Northern Hotel, operated by Charles Norman Hales. Later Mrs Annie Cherry lived in this house. Anzac Park was extended onto this site after the demolition of this building. Patricks' early fish shop is now a laundromat. The Teralba Country Women's Association was formed in 1936; they opened their hall in 1964. This hall was sold in 2003 and is now a dwelling. TC Frith's second shop in the town was erected in 1912. They had a petrol bowser on their side footpath. In the early years, they had a single cashier high up with strings to different counters where containers were catapulted back and forth with the money or dockets and change. These were called 'flying foxes'. After Friths closed, D. Tredonick operated a hardware business in the building. The Royal Picture Theatre and the poolroom building next door were built in 1924 by Arthur Bedford. Boxing tournaments were held in the Royal Picture Theatre in the late 1940's. The Community Hall was erected in 1960 on the site of the former School of Arts building. A branch of LMSC library also operated here temporarily between February 1964 and May of the proceeding year.Teralba Lakeside Caravan Park is located here. In earlier times, the circus's usually erected their tents on this site. Well-known Lake Macquarie businessman Walt Edwards built the park, which opened officially in November 1982. One of the locations of the Teralba Police Station had been next to Friths shop for a number of years; the lockup still remains in the yard.The War Memorial near the entrance to the railway station was moved into Anzac Park in 1963.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License