Lake Macquarie History

Awaba Street

The large bay at the north-western end of Lake Macquarie is called Awaba Bay. Quigleys house was built on Awaba Park and their second home constructed about 1887 called Awaba House. The Quigley Estate would have named Awaba Street from its local connection. It is an Awabakal word meaning 'a flat place' and their name for Lake Macquarie (L.E Threlkeld)