Named after Pacific Pit, which runs along the western boundary of their land. Later, the more popular spelling of Pitt was adopted.
In early times John Desreaux moved his blacksmiths shop from William Street to Pitt Street to be nearer the pit. He became President of the Lake Macquarie Shire Council ('Teralba' by P. Jepson). His son continued to run the business.
For many years Teralba's first Fire Station, built in 1928, was at the bottom of Pitt Street. This street leads to Billy Goat Hill.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License