Named after the Duke of York. Pupils were told this at Teralba School when George V was King. Research shows that he became the Duke of York in 1892 until 1910 when he became King. The street would have been named during this period. Tulkaba Park, on York Street, has the Bowling Club, football field and tennis courts on it. Boules and petanque are played here. Tulkaba is an Awabakal word meaning 'place of ti-trees' (Source: NMH 11 December, 1954). The Westlakes Amateur Radio hall complex and towers are in this street. Teralba Public School was built in 1898. This is the third site for the school. At the beginning of WW2 air-raid trenches were built in the school yard. An air-raid siren was installed high up on an electric light pole opposite the post office. When a drill was held, Mrs Johnston the post mistress, would run across the road carrying a chair. She stood on the chair and unlocked a little box on the pole and turned on the siren. People said that the sound nearly blew her off the chair. Later in the war the siren was removed and presumably sent to where it would be of more use. Across the road from the school is a small building where Mrs Hill's school tuckshop was in the 1930's. Storekeeper Max Hoskins opened the service station about 1930 opposite his shop. Old timers said there were so few cars at the time, there would be no one there to serve the petrol . Motorists had to blow their horns (some were foot-pedal powered Klaxons) until one of the girls working in the shop came over to serve them. They might have been expected to help with the hand pumping of their own petrol. Cycle road racing was conducted during the 1930's commencing at Max Hoskin's shop in York Street. There was a starting line painted across the road and there were races for juniors and seniors. The course was the Main Road to Toronto. The name 'Main Road' referred to Main Road 217, this road was tar sealed in 1933. Mr Holbrook's' Newsagency was later variously occupied by Messrs Scott, Rooster and Jones. The Co-op Store opened in 1925. It had a petrol bowser on the footpath. Prior to its demolition Tredinnick Fruit Shop was also at this location. Grahams Butchery was established in 1932. The former Presbyterian Church was built c. 1904. St Davids Anglican Church opened in 1915. The rebuilt Scout Hall was first built in 1916. The Industrial Automation Services Complex which provides computer control software for international steel and aluminium producers is here. The complex includes the heritage restored building once owned by Sager's, 'Birubi Cottage'. Birubi is an Aboriginal word meaning 'southern cross' (Source: "Aboriginal Words of Australia" by AH and AW Reed). The other two buildings also have indigenous names, Wandarrah 'meeting place' (Source: "Aboriginal Words and Place Names" by SJ Endacott) and Nulungery 'clever man' or 'medicine man' (Source: "Aboriginal Place Names" by AW Reed). There is also a joinery works, several takeaways and a small mall with a bottle shop. The Reorganised Church of Latter Day Saints has subsequently left this site, and there used to be a saddlery in York Street as well. The Post Office building was moved from railway property in William Street to its present site in 1924, a heritage listed building. Teralba's mail delivery was commenced by Mr Johnstone on horseback, after the war. His wife was Teralba's long time postmistress. William Basil Lees opened Teralba's first chemist shop in 1954. Peter Derik had a boot and shoe repair shop. Dr Helen Braye's surgery used to occupy the little shop on the rear of Frith's store in York Street. Dr Braye lived in Awaba House. She was assisted by Dr Dave Downie who lived in Black's House on Stockton Borehole property. House No.2 York Street, next to Westlakes Radio Club was one of the locations of the police station for a number of years. The last police station in Teralba was in an office next to the post office. It was phased out during the late 1990's and closed.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License