An early government road named from its destination, Awaba. On a 1953 Council plan it is named Main Road and on a 1955 plan it is named Awaba Road. It is part of Main Road 220. The cemetery dates back to the early 1900's but there are earlier unnamed graves there. The NSW State Forest workshop depot is in this street. There used to be a plaster works and timber yards here. During the 1930's cycle road racing was held here commencing at a shop (later called Eddy's Corner), the course was along past Awaba, with junior and senior events. The council owned Toronto Indoor Swimming Pool is at the intersection with Carleton Street.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License