Subdivided in 1891 DP 2505 by the Excelsior Land Co. Named after William Cary, the Chairman of the Excelsior Land and Investment Company. There used to be railway gates here in earlier times. Warning lights and bells were approved for the railway crossing of Cary Street on 19 January 1960. "The Lake Herald" 11 November 1972 announced the end of steam trains which would be replaced by diesel. Hewson's and Horn's dairy farm was where the police station is now. A park on Cary Street was called Toronto Square; the ice works building is still here. The Court House was built in 2000, the Motor Registry in 1978 and the Toronto Private Hospital in 1988, (on the former site of the St Josephs Convent School). This site was originally a Council quarry.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License