In 1887, this was called Government Road. Locally a section was called 'Old Mission Road'. Land sales were held in 1916 and in 1936 by Lang Wood Pty. Ltd. The Main Road Board was constituted in 1925 and work commenced shortly after, the concrete section of the highway, nine inches thick was completed in 1929 though not so much is still apparent. The highway between Gosford and Newcastle was completed in 1930. The Pacific Highway, Highway 10 is under RTA care/control. Adjacent to Cullen Park is the Country Women's Association 1950 building and the Baby Health Centre 1971 building. Council property, these are now used by Meals on Wheels. The Belmont High School is on the Pacific Highway - this was the first high school built in Lake Macquarie.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License