Named after Henry Withers a shareholder and manager of West Wallsend Coal Company Ltd. Withers Street had been previously called Government Road (Source: "Early West Wallsend" by T.G. Reynolds). It was part of Caledonian Coal Company subdivision in 1900. In Withers Street, there is an old drinking trough for horses still in place.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License