Bourke Street was part of the first subdivision in Windale in 1892; the landowners were David Hamlin, and Johannes Jacob Bertram. The subdivision was named Surprise Township. The Housing Commission commenced building in Bourke Street in 1949. A town in NSW is named after Sir Richard Bourke, a former Governor of NSW. Bourke Street was tar sealed in 1957.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License