Cherry Street was part of the first subdivision in Windale in 1892; the landowners were David Hamlin, and Johannes Jacob Bertram. The subdivision was named Surprise Township. Building was commenced in Cherry Street by the Housing Commission in 1949. A notice that part of this street was to be bitumen surfaced was in the Newcastle Star on 21 May 1957.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License