Two meanings can be found for the Aboriginal word wallarah. The first refers to a lookout (Source: "The Story of the Aboriginal People of the Central Coast of NSW" edited by F.C. Bennett). The second meaning is attributed to a mountain kangaroo (Source: "NH" 11 May 1993). In Catherine Hill Bay, the Wallarah Colliery shipped its first coal in 1890. Wallarah Street was named in the Town of Wyee proclaimed 22 August 1891.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License