The last train left Lambton Colliery on 19 December 1991 thus bringing to an end the operational life of the last colliery on the Newcastle Coalfield with 19th Century functional buildings. During its long life the colliery frequently changed names and owners.
During 1886 Scottish Australian Mining Company (SAMCo.) obtained land at The Red Head, south of Newcastle. The Company intended to call the new colliery Ryhope. The next year name was changed to Durham Colliery. Shafts were sunk and buildings erected during the 1890s. The colliery was laid out and designed by Thomas Croudace, the foundation colliery manager of the SAMCo. During February 1898 the name changed again to Lambton Colliery B Pit. During 1900 Lambton B Junction laid in to transport the collierys production by rail. Colliery employment was listed as 66. In January 1924 following the sale, Lambton Colliery at Lambton became known as Old Lambton. Lambton Colliery B Pit at Redhead was officially retitled Lambton Colliery.
Andrews, Brian John & Coal Services Pty Ltd 2011, Coal mines of NSW, Coal Services Pty Ltd.], [Sydney]
Andrews, Brian Robert 2004, Coal, railways and mines : the story of the railways and collieries of J & A Brown, Iron Horse Press, Redfern, N.S.W
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License