John Darling Colliery Platform - Adamstown Belmont Railway - Fernleigh Track
This platform, between Jewell’s and Belmont was located some 13.23 kilometres from Adamstown. It opened on 15 October 1934 specifically to serve the transport needs of John Darling Colliery miners although the colliery was some distance to the west of the platform. Hilary Fallins noted that from his memory only one train per day stopped there. John Darling Colliery was more conveniently served by motor bus. A convenience reinforced during the Second World War.
In July 1941 the relatively distant platform faced significant competition from alternative transport. In consequence of wartime petrol rationing extra bus services were introduced for miners at John Darling, Burwood, and Lambton Collieries. The special miners’ buses departed and returned to Newcastle’s Bank Corner, Cardiff and Swansea.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License