Athough originally (and still officially) named the Sulphide Hotel and also signaged as the Boolaroo Hotel, the pub is popularly and informally known as Shinny's after one of its earlier licensees. Located on the corner of Lakeview and Second Streets Boolaroo, it began life as the residence of Patrick Doughan (Tom Shinfield's grandfather on his mother's side). Doughan moved to the area from Gosford in 1896. This was also the year that work on the construction of the Sulphide works began. Patrick Doughan added a small 2 storey wine bar to the side of his residence, called it the Doughan's Sulphide Hotel, and obtained a liquor licence which he retained until his death in 1920.
Patrick's son Barney took over the licence until his death in 1938. In 1937, the hotel was transferred to Cecil and Peg Shinfield and their son Tom, who moved from the General Roberts Hotel at New Lambton. Tom took over from his parents and managed it until 1967. Before taking over the hotel Tom Shinfield was a well-known and liked acid plant operator at the Sulphide works.
It was a popular meeting place for the employees of the Sulphide Corporation. There was always a steady stream of workers entering the Sulphide Corporation, and the heavy machinery was hauled around the plant by horse and dray. G. Hawkins and Sons Pty Ltd was the haulage company.
The hotel was rebuilt in the 1970's and has had a series of licensees over the years, canny enough to retain the name of one of its most popular publicans.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License