Lake Macquarie History

Fennell Bay

Name Origin:

Richard Fennell took up residence at "Boyce's Point" (Bolton Point) in 1847. He obtained the lease on the Ebenezer Estate from 1850 to around 1870.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 7 (Awaba Parish) of 50 acres granted to Ernest Brougham Docker on 13/2/1882. Originally applied for by Fennell and Hawke. Portion 26 of 50 acres was granted to E.B. Docker on 13/3/1882.

Early Subdivisions:

First subdivision was D.P.882, "Lorne" which was declared on 7/8/1882. It encompassed Awaba, Wangi, Fennell, Bellevue, Turnbull Streets and Brougham Avenue. That is, both sides of L.T. Creek.

Early Settlers:

Richard Fennell settled on the Bolton Point end of the Bay in 1847.

Early Industries:

By 1883 a sawmill was in operation at Fennell Bay. A mine called South Stockton is recorded as having operated there.

Early Transport:

The First Fennell Bay Bridge was built in 1901. It was an elevated timber structure. The second bridge was built in 1967. Fennell Bay Wharf was situated at the mouth of L.T. Creek.

First Post Office:

Opened 17 November 1947.

First School:

Public School opened in September 1959.

Streets in Fennell Bay