This was an unnamed road in 1916 when part was subdivided. The name Ntaba Road was gazetted in 1961.
There are two versions to the name origin of this road:
Ntaba Road was named after a property at 56 Pacific Highway Windale (now Jewells), called Ntaba Park. The property was originally a kennel, and a Mr Walter Hill bred champion dogs there, including German Shepherds and Cocker Spaniels. In the late 1950s, a Mrs Hubbard had a rose nursery there for many years - "Ntaba Park Nursery". Ntaba means mountain in the Zulu language.
The second version is that Ntaba is an acronym for Newcastle Training and Breeders association. Where the shopping centre stands now used to be a trotting track back in the 70’s.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License