Lake Macquarie History

Floraville

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

Name Origin:

Flora is the Latin word for flower.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 45 (Kahibah Parish), 187 acres; Grant to Henry Marks, 25/9/1885.

Early Subdivisions:

D.P.1930, surveyed 25/9/1886. Including Evelyn, Harold, Holloway, Victoria, Elizabeth and Jordan Streets. Part of Portion 45. This appears to have been unsuccessful, as little building occurred until 80 years later.

First School:

Public School opened in October 1967.

Reference

Nilson, Laurie & Leis, Susan & Noble, Rodney & Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council 1985, Lake Macquarie : past and present, Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.]

Streets in Floraville