Lake Macquarie History

Garden Suburb

Name Origin:

It received its name at the time of subdivision from the garden city movement then in vogue in England. This movement was begun by Ebenezer Howard who advocated the formation of garden cities interrelating country and town in rural settings. This idea was then modified to allow for residential "garden suburbs" without the commercial and industrial components of the garden city. They were supposed to be on the outskirts of the city, in rural settings, with rail access. Garden Suburb fulfilled these conditions but never obtained a station.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 79 (Kahibah Parish) granted to James Peatie, 16/8/1872. Portion 80 granted to John Cherry 31/3/1876.

Early Subdivisions:

First subdivision was D.P.9746 declared on 8/l/1918 and encompassing Prospect and Park Roads and Marshall Street area.

Early Industries:

In the late 1940's and early 1950's there were orchards on the western slopes towards Cardiff. Oranges, peaches and lemons were grown. Market gardens were situated in the valley by the creek.

In 1925 a small colliery known as Cardiff Tickhole was opened.

Railway:

The Tickhole Tunnel is 526 feet long. The first tunnel was dug between 1883 and 1887. The second tunnel, made necessary by electrification, was completed in 1985.

First Post Office:

Opened as 'Kotara Heights' 3 September 1956. This office was renamed 'Garden Suburb' on 1 February 1964.

First School:

Garden Suburb Public School was opened in July 1958.

Streets in Garden Suburb