Belmont General Cemetery located on Green Street, is a medium sized cemetery serving the Belmont and Swansea districts of Lake Macquarie. It is divided into Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, General, Presbyterian and Uniting Church sections. Monuments in this cemetery date back as far as 1879. Lake Macquarie City Council Council took over the management of the cemetery from the existing trustees in approximately 1974.Not all indexes are available on line, it is recommended researchers use both the online index and published indexes listed below.
Australian Cemeteries Index (ACI) website Australian Cemeteries Index provides a list of inscriptions. Kevin Dee in late 2006 photographed existing inscriptions, the indexed inscriptions on ACI are based on his collection of images with reference to New South Wales Birth Deaths and Marriages.
Earlier transcriptions were recorded in 1980 by Mrs Josie Splatt and later updated by Kim Ranger in 1998. Both works were combined and published in;
Lake Macquarie Family History Group 2002, Belmont Cemetery : an index to memorials, Lake Macquarie Family History Group, Teralba, N.S.W
Ranger, K., 1999. Belmont Cemetery. 1st ed. [Cardiff, N.S.W]: [Kim Ranger].
Ranger, K. and McCann, A. (1999). Belmont Cemetery. 2nd ed. [Cardiff, N.S.W]: [Kim Ranger].
Reith, K. (1998). Investigation, survey and history of Belmont Cemetery, Lake Macquarie, NSW. Roseville, N.S.W.: Kathleen M. Reith.
The Belmont Cemetery is administered by the Lake Macquarie City Council Lake Macquarie City Council Cemetery Services
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License