Williams Miner Reserve, Cardiff
This reserve was named in 2005, jointly after old Cardiff residents Mat Williams and John Miner. Matthew James Williams came to Cardiff in 1900, one of the first J.P’s in Cardiff he gave advice on legal matters, taxation and local government affairs and acted as a supervisor for public examinations. A prominent figure in sporting activities he was instrumental in the reforming of the Cardiff Soccer Club after WW1 and in cricket and in rugby league. For many years he was in charge of Cardiff Railway Station and later Cockle Creek Station. John Stewart Miner retired in 1963 after 47 years in the workforce, for most of his working life he was a resident of Cardiff. Extremely well known and respected in his local community, he worked for various charities and organisations. He hosted functions including church dances, and balls and lead the community singing at the local Star Picture Theatre. Miner worked for the St Vincent de Paul Society supporting the needy and visited patients at Wallsend Hospital on a regular basis. John Miner was an organiser of the inaugural Cardiff Spring Carnival in the 1950s, a function to raise funds for charity and establish the profile of Cardiff. The reserve was landscaped by the Michael Street Land Care Group and the flagpole was donated by the Cardiff Lions Club. The responsibility for raising of the flag continued to be in care of the descendants of both Williams and Miner.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License