Lake Macquarie History

Glendale

Name Origin:

Glen is a Scottish term for a valley between hills, usually with trees, and dale is an English term for a valley between hills.

The Crossroads was the unofficial name of the intersection at Cardiff Road and Edgeworth Road (currently Main Road and Lake Road) Glendale. The suburb was originally known as the Crossroads, and was oficially changed to Glendale in the mid 1950's. The name Glendale was selected by popular vote out of six possible names in a competition run by the Cardiff West P&C Association.

The results of the ballot were

  • Glendale 1581 votes,
  • Lyndale 1530 votes,
  • Fernington 306 votes;
  • Glendor 161 votes;
  • Llandaff 74 votes;
  • Cardonia 13 votes.
  • Signage for the new name was completed in 1952, although this name change caused dismay among many bus passengers due to confusion on timetables!

    Early Land Grants:

    Portion 24 (Kahibah Parish), Joseph Weller, 2560 acres.

    Early Subdivisions:

    D.P.8479; subdivision of the Newcastle Wallsend Company's Estate, being part of portions 9, 24 and 48. This subdivision, which was declared on 17 August 1915, formed large farm lots. The Glendale section was bounded by the streets now known as Main, Lake and Reservoir Roads and Glendale Drive. This was the first subdivision of the Glendale area.

    Early Settlers:

    After the Second World War the Greater Newcastle Co-operative Housing Society built 20 houses.

    Early Industries:

    Glendale was close to Cardiff Workshops.

    Early Transport:

    Horses were the main form of transport and there was a large horse trough in the middle of the Crossroads. The steam tram ran to the west of Lake Road from 1910 to 1930. In 1931 a bus service to Speers Point passed through Glendale and became a government service in 1937. The bus rotunda with the shingle roof was built in 1932 and demolished in 1969.

    Railway:

    The main northern line passed to the south of the suburb but Glendale did not have a station.

    First Post Office:

    Opened 1 December 1948. Until 1 June 1952 this office was known as 'Cardiff West'.

    First School:

    Glendale Public School opened April 1949. It was known as Cardiff West Public School until September 1951. Glendale Technical College opened on 17 September 1981. Glendale East Public School opened in January 1959. Glendale High School opened January 1970.

    Town:

    The first cottage to be built at the Crossroads was erected from the remains of West Wallsend's Co-operative Store.

    The old wine bar in the middle of the crossroads was built in 1911 with a Mr. Brown as the first licensee. It was demolished in 1969.

    A $26 million retail shopping centre is planned by Dalgety Australia Ltd and Hooker Retail Developments Pty Ltd for a site between the railway, Cardiff Workshops and the Crossroads. This required the rezoning of 12 hectares of land. The rezoning by Lake Macquarie City Council and the Minister for Planning and Environment was challenged by New World Properties, who planned a similar development on the Crystal Palace site at Wallsend. The appeal against the rezoning was dismissed by the Supreme Court on 12 August 1985.

    Streets in Glendale