In early times, it was variously known as Old Mission Road, Lake Macquarie Road, and Government Road. The Main Roads Board was constituted in 1925 and work commenced on the road shortly after with the first tarsealed road in Lake Macquarie Shire in Charlestown in 1925/6. In 1931, the section of the highway from Newcastle to Gosford was completed and the name Pacific Highway was assigned. There was an early wine bar in Bennetts Green owned by the Livingstones. The Pacific Highway (Highway 10) is under RTA control.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License