Lake Macquarie History

Awaba

Name Origin:

Aboriginal word meaning flat or plain surface, which was the aboriginal term for Lake Macquarie. The word should be pronounced ar-wah-bah.

Early Land Grants:

Mr. W.A. Kingscote held a 1,100 acre property, Parish of Awaba.

Early Subdivisions:

Crown Subdivision, first plan approved 20/8/189 1. There were no street names in the first subdivision. The first street plans in 1892, consisted of Barton St, Melbourne St, Brisbane St, Gosford St, Nellinda St, Heaton St and Adelaide St.

Early Settlers:

The timber workers were the area's pioneers and most came from Mulbring, Brunkerville, Mount Vincent and Wallis Plains. They included the Field, Wellard, Puddy and Murrell families.

Early Industries:

In 1885 a timber depot was established. In the same year Awaba was selected as a site for a railway construction depot. A large saw mill was an early feature of the town. In 1948 the Awaba State Coal Mine was established, largely through the efforts of J.M. Baddeley, who had been the wartime Minister for Mines.

Railway:

At the outset in 1887 Awaba had a platform on the down side of the line, with a loop siding opposite. Awaba to Wangi Wangi Power Station branch line opened on 25 May 1954. It was 6.5 miles long, but is now disused.

First Post Office:

Opened 1 October 1889.

First School:

Public school opened in June 1891.

Town:

The village developed in response to the needs of the railway contractors and homes were scattered over a wide area. One settler operated a small general store, another a primitive butcher's shop.

Water Supply:

1948.

Streets in Awaba