Mount Sugarloaf Colliery
The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
Mount Sugarloaf Colliery was situated at West Wallsend in the shadow of Sugarloaf mountain. It operated from 1949-1978.
This promotional video was recorded in the 1950s, and shows some of the underground processes, colliery workings and the pit ponies who were about to be retired from duty when the video was made.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License