Lake Macquarie History

Balcolyn

Name Origin:

The name seems to be an amalgam of the Scottish prefix Bal and the name Colyn. Yarrawonga Park is included and its name is aboriginal but meanings vary: bird's nest, Wonga pigeon, stoney mountain, waterfall, windstorm.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 2 (Morisset Parish) Charles F. Stokes 160 acres granted 4/10/1881. Portion 88 G.H. Martin 140 acres.

Early Subdivisions:

D.P.2458, declared on 2/11/1889. Formed by Helena, Hewitt, Colban, Queen, Bay, Lake and Henry Streets. Related to Portion 2 of 160 acres granted to Charles Frederick Stokes. Little building appears to have taken place.

Early Settlers:

Alfred Sara lived alone at Shingle Splitters Point in a house built of slabs. He is believed to have planted the Norfolk Island pines which are now a landmark, probably about 1920. The Wilson family settled on the western or Bonnells Bay side, now Yarrawonga Park.

Early Industries:

There were big stands of casuarina (she-oak) along the waterfront and from an early date these were exploited by timbercutters as they made very good roofing shingles before the advent of corrugated iron roofs. Shingle Splitters Point provided a good anchorage and loading place. The shingle splitters lived in huts nearby.

Water Supply:

1963.

Streets in Balcolyn