Lake Macquarie History

Kilaben Bay

Derived from an Awabakal Aboriginal word 'killibinbin' meaning 'bright', 'shining' (Source: L.E. Threlkeld in the Awabakal version of the Lord's Prayer. NH 11 May 1993).

The Excelsior Land, Investment and Building Co and Bank Ltd carried out subdivisions of Kilaben Bay and Coal Point from 1891. In 1985 the Toronto St Joseph's Catholic Church and Primary School were relocated to Kilaben Bay on a 16 h.a. property.

In 2003, the Kilaben Bay Landcare group obtained a Council grant to revegetate Kilaben Park. In 2004, the group obtained a Federal Government grant to rehabilitate Kilaben Creek and construct a boardwalk

Streets in Kilaben Bay