Lake Macquarie History

Killingworth

Name Origin:

There is a Killingworth in England and one in Connecticut, U.S.A.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 34 (Teralba Parish) of 2560 acres granted to William Bucknell (deed issued to A.W. Scott), 6/12/1888. This property was called "Deega".

Early Subdivisions:

D.P.4339, 13/9/1901; formed by Wallace and Westcroft Streets, The Trongate and Killingworth Road. Part of portion 34.

Early Settlers:

Miners who came to work at Killingworth Colliery.

Early Industries:

Killingworth Colliery, also known as West Wallsend Extended, opened in 1892. In December 1910 an explosion wrecked the mine but no lives were lost. It was closed for four years. During this time, in 1912, it was purchased by Caledonian Collieries. Like most mines, it closed during the Depression of the 1930's and re-opened when the war brought a demand for coal. Today it is owned by Coal and Allied and has been modernised.

Railway:

A private railway from Killingworth Colliery joined the main northern line at Cockle Creek.

First Post Office:

Opened 1st August 1900.

First School:

Public School opened from July 1891 to December 1892. It resumed operations from May 1902 to March 1941.

Streets in Killingworth