Lake Macquarie History

Kotara South

Name Origin:

Aboriginal word meaning "Waddy" or "Club". Early Land Grants: Portions 8 and 8A, Parish of Kahibah.

Early Subdivisions:

On 17/1/1925 the Scottish Australian Mining Co. auctioned some of its land. On 30.3.1926 D.P.17985 Portion 13, the area around Inglis, Roscoe, Kenneth and Boundary Streets, was subdivided by the Waratah Coal Co. as the "Kinnard Estate".

Early Settlers:

It was settled as a suburb of Newcastle because the railway station provided transport.

Early Industries:

South Waratah Colliery was closer to Kotara than to Charlestown but seemed to have little effect on its development.

Early Transport:

The Sydney to Newcastle railway line provided transport, Kotara station being serviced by the Toronto train. In 1955 a bus service to Newcastle commenced.

Railway:

A platform was opened at Kotara in November 1924, in preparation for a subdivision.

First Post Office:

Kotara South post office opened 2 December 1957.

First School:

Kotara Infants School opened in February 1937. It became a public school in 1939. Kotara High School was opened in January 1968. Kotara South Public School opened in January 1960.

Water Supply:

1928.

Sewerage:

1960.

Streets in Kotara South