Dudley School Museum Collection
In 2019 the long-standing Dudley School Museum was required to close. As part of Lake Macquarie City Council’s commitment to valuing and supporting local heritage, a number of items from the School Museum were acquired by the Council for public exhibition and access.
Dudley is thought to have been named after the English mining town of Dudley near Birmingham, England. The earliest land grants were around 1865, when orchards were established in the area.
The South Burwood Colliery established a coal mine in Dudley in 1888, with the colliery railway opening in 1889. The first subdivision – named South Burwood – was declared in 1889 to provide housing for the mine workers. The mine became known as Dudley Colliery in 1891, and a second subdivision was declared that same year, giving the township it’s name.
Dudley Colliery was finally closed and demolished in 1940.
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License