The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.
Located on the eastern side of Swansea Channel, Little Pelican is a Crown Land Reserve.
"Life at Little Pelican is a throw-back to desperate times when unemployed miners, hit by the Great Depression, built makeshift cottages at the waters edge.". (Source: NH 19 July 2007). Only a few cottages remain today at the end of about a kilometre of sealed road called Little Pelican Road. Their future is uncertain.
When the Sunstrip Caravan Park was established in 1956 a channel was dredged from the back of the park to the lake, cutting off Little Pelican from Pelican. Prior to this, people from Little Pelican could walk to Pelican, or as they called it 'Big Pelican'. The spot on the highway which is now the Blue Pacific Motor Inn used to be a dairy farm and cows used to wander freely around Little Pelican (Source: "NH" 2 May 2000).
In the Parish of Kahibah the locality of Little Pelican was assigned the status of suburb and the boundaries were defined on 31 May 1991 (Source: GNB of NSW)
Streets in Little Pelican
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License