Miners Arms Hotel Edgeworth (Young Wallsend)
William J Thomas received a licence to operate the Miners Arms Hotel, on the corner of Young Road and West Wallsend Road Young Wallsend on 2 October 1889. This location is now the corner of Main Road and Ridley Streets Edgeworth. It was a substantial two storied weatherboard building, and was close to Young Wallsend Colliery.
- 1889 William J Thomas
- 1911 Richard T Martin
- 1920 Francis G Clayton
The hotel was closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in May 1921 as part of an effort to cut down the number of hotels trading in the area. A total of 22 other hotels in the Lake Macquarie and Newcastle areas were closed down at that time with compensation being paid to licensees and owners. It was demolished for road widening sometime after 1921
On 14 December 2013 a posting was made on the Lost Newcastle Facebook site relating to the Miners Arms Hotel at Young Wallsend. "Richard Martin did not stay long at the Miners Arms and sold the licence to Mr. John Philpotts and then after only eleven months new restrictions were imposed and the Miners Arms licence was taken away in 1921. The Philpotts stayed in the building for a while before they bought a vacant block next door and built a-house on it. The Woods Brewery sold the hotel property to Mr. Mitchell, a builder and he removed the top storey and turned the bottom into a house."
Additional information on the licensees of this hotel may be found in the book "Early West Wallsend: it;s people and places" by Tom Reynolds.This book is available from many Lake Macquarie Library branches.
Tonks, Ed Smelters haven to artist's rest: the hotels of Lake Macquarie, 2016
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License