Lake Macquarie History

Marks Point

Name Origin:

Named after Charles Marks who had an orchard there.

Early Land Grants:

Portion 29 (Kahibah Parish) of 33 acres granted to Henry Marks on 17/6/1876. Portion 68 of 39 acres granted to Henry Marks on 9/1/1882. Henry sold his land to his brother Charles in 1885.

Early Subdivisions:

D.P.5201, declared on 15/12/1902 comprised large lots along the western end of Marks Point Road. D.P.5755, declared on 14/10/1909, comprised smaller lots on the southern side of Marks Point Road. Marks Point was a popular site and land sold well.

Early Settlers:

Henry and Charles were brothers of Maurice Marks, an early settler in Belmont. Henry bought the land at the Point and he and Charles went into partnership in an orchard. In 1885 he sold this to Charles, who lived on at Marks Point until he died.

Early Industries:

The Marks brothers' orchard grew oranges and pineapples. In the 1920's there were still Chinese Market Gardens near the present Marks Point School. Charlie Hollis operated a slipway and marine business in Edith Street from 1954 to 1980, when it became Marks Point Marina.

Early Transport:

By water or by sandy dray tracks to Newcastle or Swansea.

First Point Office:

Opened as a non-official post office on 1 January 1927. Prior to this date it operated as a receiving office.

First School:

Public School opened January 1954.

Water Supply:

1947.

Streets in Marks Point