Aboriginal for low water or swampy water.
Early Land Grants: ln 1836 Captain James Mitchell bought 560 acres which extended from Marmong Creek, southwards towards Bolton Point. This land (and the 914 acres at Teralba which was granted to Mitchell in 1842 ) was bequeathed in February 1869 to his daughter, Margaret. In 1870 Margaret Scott Mitchell married William Bell Quigley. After the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Quigley (in 1879 and 1886 respectively) the estate, known as "Awaba Park", was administered by the Perpetual Trustee Company.
The Marmong Point section of the estate was sold in 1888 to two policemen, James Brady of Teralba and W.D. Walker of Toronto. They subdivided and sold homesites.
Early European Settlers:
Richard Hepplewhite was the first settler after the subdivision but two miners had leased land from the Quigleys and lived near the waterfront before the subdivision.
William Quigley had a sawmill and loading gantry on the Booragul side of Marmong Bay. Before subdivision, the land was leased to a Chinese named Jimmy Ah Him who had a market garden and carried his produce around the district in baskets slung on a bamboo pole. By 1911 John Casey had established an orchard.
There was a slaughter yard in the bush at the head of Marmong Creek. In 1940 the Lands Department granted Arnold Bressenden a Special lease over Portion 264 for a boatshed, boat repairs and slip. In 1944 the Lease was transferred to G. and A. Blumer. Dr. Blumer had a big old gaff-rigged yacht called Wanderer. In 1946 the Lease was transferred to Harry Bond. He carried out some landfill operations with sawdust from the sawmill and constructed a two-storey cement residence, using local materials. In 1968 Craigs purchased the residence, slips and jetty. Marmong Cove Marina bought out Craigs in 1982 and upgraded the facilities. A sewerage treatment works has replaced the slaughter yard.
By water or by foot to Teralba. A trestle footbridge crossed Marmong Creek where today a causeway and culvert take the road over the Creek.
First Post Office:
Opened 8 May 1933; closed 31 July 1978.
Nilson, Laurie, Leis, Susan, Noble, Rodney and Lake Macquarie (N.S.W.). Council Lake Macquarie : past and present. Lake Macquarie City Council, [Boolaroo, N.S.W.], 1985.
Streets in Marmong Point
- Becker Lane
- Canopus Close
- Courageous Close
- Defender Close
- Era Close
- Express Circuit
- George Street
- High Street
- Homan Street
- Kylie Close
- Marmong Street
- Marmong Street Waterfront Reserve
- Nanda Street
- The Ridgeway
- Water Corporation Access Lane
- Welfare Lane
This work by Lake Macquarie City Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License