Lake Macquarie History

Balmoral

The City Council of Lake Macquarie acknowledge the Aboriginal people known today as the Awabakal, as the traditional Custodians of the land, respecting Aboriginal Elders past, present and future. Lake Macquarie City Council recognise the local Aboriginal community today in all of their diversity, who came forward to share their experiences, knowledge, images and memories.

The English 'Garden City' movement influenced Henry F Halloran when he designed and named the estate Balmoral in 1920. The name comes from the castle in Scotland of British royal family fame. Early maps show Balmoral being called Secret Bay, the same name as the bay that it faces. In the Parish of Awaba, the suburb of Balmoral is located about 1.2 km SSE of Rathmines and about 2.7 km NNW of Arcadia Vale. The boundaries were defined on 31 May 1991 and are shown on Map GNB 3506 (Source: GNB of NSW). Reticulated water came to Balmoral in 1948 (Source: "Pipelines and People" by J Armstrong).

Streets in Balmoral